1. Lost in the Vision Matrix, J0hn Clare transmitted a distress signal designed to be audible only to himself.
2. T S El10t ran on a complex algorithm that produced seemingly fragmentary results. However, if you run Imagewise an underlying order appears.
3. C0ler1dge suffered a non-integration glitch. His Narco Neurons were in permanent conflict with routines instigated by a Homily implant.
4. Walt Wh1tman’s predilection for free verse was the consequence of a series of malfunctions in his Metrical Regulator.
5. The deadly Anne 5ext0n devoured boys, cars and prayers, blades whirring, shutter eyes snapping. Afterwards, sated, she cat-napped in a coffin.
6. When the archaeologists finally extricated the monolith from the embrace of the petrified forest, they found Tenny50n embedded in it.
7. Spinning a web of words, J0hn D0nne’s Sp1der Appendage resembled an eight-fingered hand. In its nimble frenzy it misspelled “dove” as “love”.
8. Lew15 Carr0ll processed language through a series of Whimsy Filters, generating reams of dream words, realms and dream worlds.
9. W1ll1am Blake wrote Songs of Innocence after his Logic Node was shut down. Following a S1N upgrade, the Songs of Experience howled from him.
10. W0rsdsw0rth’s operating system crashed every time he looked at a lake, mountain or gorge. The problem was caused by oversensitive Sublimity Receptors.
11. Alexander P0pe’s Syllepsis Module strained his vegetables and his relations with other poets.
12. Sylv1a Plath smashed her way out of the iron foundry, Thanatos mode engaged. Later, she made the word “BABY” from scrap metal.
13. Hibernating in her Death Pod, Em1ly D1ck1n50n still emits little noises that some commentators claim are philosophical questions.
This piece was originally published as a series of tweets. It is dedicated to Christina Scholz, whose idea it was that they should be assembled into a 13. All texts on this site are the copyright of James Knight. All rights reserved.